Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The food I eat

I've had several people over the last month or so ask me about what exactly I'm eating these days, so I figured I'd post a brief synopsis.

I'm losing weight because my body is in a light state of ketosis. Here's the basics of what exactly ketosis is:

 In terms you and I can understand, when your body is in ketosis, you feel less hungry so you may eat less. Also, instead of burning carbs for energy as your body normally does, it begins to burn fat. Hence (sometimes) rapid weight loss. 

 Now, MRC puts your body in a light form of ketosis. Carbs break down to glucose which is used for energy. If there is not enough glucose, as in a low glycemic diet, the body then turns to stored fat for energy. 

 Here’s the kicker, though, and why you tend to GAIN a lot of weight if you eat off program, even if you are careful to not eat too poorly, or eat too many excess calories: for every gram of carbs you eat when your body is in ketosis, your body stores it with 3 grams of water. Eat one pound of carbs? Gain 4 pounds. MRC keeps your body in a mild form of ketosis, since you consume enough carbs to keep your brain and body functioning (80-100g of carbs a day). When you eat off program (i.e. consume too many carbs) it will take 3 days for your body to get back into ketosis if you eat 100% on program. This is because the body stores 3 days worth of glucose to burn. Once you eat on program for 3 days, this reserve of glucose is gone and your body begins to burn fat.

It operates on a 60% protein, 20% fat, 20% carb premise. That's enough carbs to keep your brain function healthy and enough protein to burn fat for energy. The key is finding the ratio. Since I was on the MRC program about 4 years ago, I kept the menus and food lists so I know what foods are ok and what aren't.

 Lean proteins are key, and you can have a fattier one (i.e. salmon, seafood etc) once a week. I eat a lot of bison, elk, lean grass fed beef, chicken breast and tilapia.

 Veggies have to be lower carb veggies, so no potatoes, carrots, corn, onions etc. I eat a ton of grape tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, summer squash, cucumbers and spaghetti squash.

 Fruit is the same, lower carb fruit. My go-to is honeycrisp apples. I also love strawberries, cantaloupe and honeydew.

 Carbs are limited. 1/4 c beans, oatmeal, etc. I generally stick with a slice of Sara Lee Delightful bread. I have egg sandwiches for breakfast, and open face burgers/chicken sandwiches for dinner. I also drink a protein drink (available from Diet Direct) with each meal, and one additional. This gives you the additional protein you need to push you into ketosis, and it's only 70 calories.

 Here's a daily menu:
Breakfast:
protein drink
 protein
 carb

 Lunch:
protein drink
protein
fruit
veggie

 Dinner:
protein drink
 protein
carb
veggie

 A regular day for me (including lunch on the go since I work out of my car) is:

 Breakfast: 2 fried eggs on a slice of Sara Lee bread + drink

 Lunch: 3 oz hard cheese, apple, grape tomatoes + drink

 Dinner: 6oz bison burger on a slice of Sara Lee bread with broccoli + drink

 Snack: drink I am not hungry.

My body has detoxed because of all the clean food I've been eating. The least clean food I eat is the bread. I try to buy organic as much as possible as my budget will allow. I don't crave anything. I don't get jealous when I see others eating foods I shouldn't eat.

 I've lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks. I'll be taking about 2 weeks off program for a vacation and a few events when I return home, and then getting back on the wagon until Christmas. I'll take off Christmas to New Year and then hit it hard. I know due to the principles of ketosis I will likely gain 10lbs of water weight during those 2 weeks, and I'm ok with that.

 So, that's the basics. Things will change a lot when I hit goal (hopefully within the next year, I have 97 more lbs to lose) as I start to add foods back in. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!

No comments:

Post a Comment