Sunday, May 12, 2013

It's been a week

This week has been a bit of a whirlwind for various reasons. I started on Medifast on Monday. Tuesday I was diagnosed with insulin resistant diabetes. Wednesday I started on Metformin. And since Thursday night my stomach has been a mess from it. Ugh. My bloodwork also showed that my thyroid levels were way out of whack, so my Synthroid was upped. I had figured that might be the case since it took me almost 6 weeks to lose 10 lbs, and I have a LOT to lose, so that is a long time to lose that much. I'm hoping the combo of upping my Synthroid plus starting Metformin plus doing Medifast will get me on the road to weight loss quickly. And give me a bit more energy.

I started a new job about 6 weeks ago. It's been kicking my butt. I am NOT complaining because the hard work is paying off (cha-ching!), but I'm still exhausted at the end of the day. I could really use some of that extra energy. It's slowing down a bit now, but not to the point where I'm not tired when I get home.

Tomorrow I'll be posting on my Katie Talks About blog about my first week on Medifast. I'm doing well. I won't say it's a walk in the park, and I won't say the food is amazing and incredible, but I will say that I'm losing weight and I haven't been hungry. It's been tough with having my stomach be so messed up from the Metformin to want to eat ANYTHING, but I do. Honestly, when I feel that way it doesn't matter if it's Medifast oatmeal or a chocolate milkshake - I don't want to eat anything.

Today's excitement was taking part in my first 5K since October. It was the Colorado Rockies Home Run for the Homeless. They had a walk and a run, plus a kids' 1K. Super proud of my 4 year old daughter who ran the 1K all by herself with no stopping. I hope that she can grow to love running and not fear it like I do! My 5K time was horrible (67 minutes!) but I also walked with a new friend who had her 6 year old daughter with her. Combine that with having to wait at a stoplight (for real) and people slowing down to a crawl once they entered the stadium as if they'd never been in a ballpark before. I'm sure that eliminating those two obstacles it would have been 60 minutes.I think if we didn't have the 6 year old with us, I'd have made it in at least 55 minutes. I have another one next Sunday, so there's a chance to do better. Fortunately, whatever pace it was that I maintained (21.5 minute mile, ugh) I had no pain and I felt good when I finished. Any time I go that far with no shin splints is a great day. Hopefully as I lose more weight, shin splints will be a thing of the past forever.



So, that's my week in a nutshell. A very big nutshell. We're talking at least almonds, but bordering on coconuts. Check my Katie Talks About blog tomorrow night for my Medifast update!

3 comments:

  1. By your photo, it doesn't look like you NEED to lost any weight! You look awesome! Sorry about the diabetes and thyroid problems, I hope you can get your health back the way you need it to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're super kind! Fortunately the camera angle did me many favors - I have almost 100lbs to lose before I'm in a "normal" BMI range!

      Delete
  2. I am insulin resistant (with PCOS) and take metformin. It is not nice to your digestive system. Try and get some probiotics in to you if you can. Also, make sure your doctor keeps a close eye on your folate and b vitamin levels, metformin tends to deplete them. 67 minutes may not be your ideal time but you did it, and that's what counts!

    Thanks for your encouraging comment on my blog, I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete