Monday, June 17, 2013

Winning!

Today I was Googling things that weigh 30 lbs. Why? Because that's how much weight I've lost so far. Yeah, I'm pretty happy about that!

One of the things that I found that weighs approximately 30 lbs is this:
That's a World Series trophy, in case you weren't quite sure. That's also a photo of the first one my favorite team, the Oakland A's, won in Oakland in 1972. They also won one in 1973 (the year I was born), 1974 and 1989. They won 4 in Philadelphia, too. You're welcome for that little lesson on Athletics history.

Crazy enough, as I said, the A's have won 4 championships in Oakland. I'd love if this year was #5, but I digress. Anyway, 4 trophies = 120 lbs. I technically have 110 lbs to lose total, but if I lost a full 120 lbs, I would weigh the same that I did in this photo: 145 lbs.

Look at me all being skinny and drinking beer. We shall meet again someday, old friend.

The thing is, even when I was "skinny", my body structure doesn't allow me to be SKINNY. Those are size 10 jeans and the top is still a large. I still have the jeans. Probably the tank, too. 

Anyway. 

This thing also happens - when you lose weight, you move better and your body hurts less. 30 lbs ago, I could only walk at 3.0 mph for 3 or 4 minutes at a time or else I'd get ridiculous shin splints and horrible hip pain. I was 39 going on 79. I averaged a 22 minute mile when I walked, and I usually couldn't go much longer than 50 minutes - which was barely over 2 miles.

Yesterday I walked just over 2 miles in 37 minutes. An 18 minute mile. Now, that's still not fast enough to do the Tinkerbell Half Marathon completely walking (I believe you need to maintain a 16 minute mile), but I've already cut 4 minutes off my mile. I've only got 2 to go. Oh, and I walked those 2 miles pain free. I could have walked longer and further, but I didn't have enough time to do so.

So yeah, I'm winning. I've already won the war against one World Series trophy, and I've cut 4 minutes off my mile. I've hit the 30 pound lost mark, which earned me a reward - a Le Creuset dish. Now I need to think of a reward for hitting 40 pounds. It won't be long!

No comments:

Post a Comment